CERTIFIED OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY SPECIALIST (COSS)
What participants will learn
The Certified Occupational Safety Specialist course consists of Five 8-Hour Days, a total of 40 Hours. The Certified Occupational Safety Specialist (COSS) Program is designed for those in the safety and health field that coordinate the successful implementation of corporate safety and health plans; coordinate and maybe even conduct safety and health training; and/or provide support to safety and training managers. By learning how to promote safety on a job site, COSS graduates have the knowledge to help lower fatalities, near misses and OSHA citations.
Course Awareness Level Topics:
- Determine the true cost of accidents.
- Calculate total recordable incident rates.
- Search company and public records to assess where the likelihood of an accident may lie.
- Master the use of the CFRs (both construction and general industry).
- Identify hazards, determine regulatory requirements, implement corrective actions and train personnel in changes that are required.
- Perform risk analyses for key jobs and processes.
- Perform complete accident investigations.
- Develop and implement a safety audits and inspections program.
- Communicate corporate safety initiatives and goals.
- Develop, implement, and maintain company safety plans and manuals.
- Achieve OSHA “competent person” status.
COSS does NOT replace contractors’ and owners’ specific training programs and do not authorize employees to do work. The employer must provide the employee with proper training for the specific job. Visit www.coss.net to learn more.
Class info, upcoming dates & registration
Upcoming Course Dates
- 2021 dates to be determined
- 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
DVSC / 510 Heron Drive, Suite 210, Swedesboro, NJ 08085
Class info, upcoming dates & registration
Virtual COSS® courses are offered in real-time during live classes with our expert COSS Instructors. The week-long course features the same innovative and rigorous curriculum as our in-person COSS training with digital coursework that includes daily compliance moments and proctored exams.
Students will participate in a live 6-hour online session via Zoom video conferencing Monday – Friday. Live sessions begin at 8:00 a.m. Central Time. After each session Monday – Thursday, students can work on their own time to complete daily exercises and readings. On the final day, students will participate in an additional 2-hour Zoom session to complete final graded activities including the final exam, final compliance moment, and safety presentation.
Participation in the course will require the following:
- Computer with reliable Internet access (Laptops and desktop computers only.)
- Preference: Dual monitor setup or use of multiple devices (computer and mobile device)
- Google Chrome Browser
- Webcam and Microphone
- Zoom Video Conferencing
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
Upcoming Virtual Course Dates
- January 18 – 22, 2021 – CLASS FULL
- February 15 – 19, 2021
- March 15 – 19, 2021
- April 19 – 23, 2021
- May 17 – 21, 2021
- June 21 – 25, 2021
- July 19 – 23, 2021
- August 16 – 20, 2021
- September 20 – 24, 2021
- October 18 – 22, 2021
- November 15 – 19, 2021
- December 13 – 17, 2021
Discounts are available for active military and veterans. Click to Learn More.
- Military discounts are available for our Specialty Training Programs, such as COSS, COSM, and Safe Supervisor. Call to check for the availability of the military discount for other training programs offered by Delaware Valley Safety Council.
- Military discounts are available for anyone who is active military, a veteran or a member of the reserves.
- Proper military verification must be submitted with the registration, such as Form DD214 for veterans, or a military ID card for active service people and reserves. A copy of this paperwork must be kept on file with student’s registration.
- The discount will be 15%, PROVIDED WE ARE DEFINITELY RUNNING THE CLASS WITH OUR 3-PERSON MINIMUM—3 students already registered at regular price—before we will register and offer the military discount.
- Payments must be made with a credit card; invoicing and payment plans for the program may be set up with the DVSC Controller. Full payment is due one week prior to class start.
- The same late fees and cancellation fees apply.
What is Recertification?
You are required to renew your Certified Occupational Safety Specialist (COSS®) and Certificate for Occupational Managers (COSM) credential every three years. You should apply for recertification by December 31 of the third full year of your recertification cycle.
Due to COVID-19, we have created a new option for COSS recertification. Students can opt to complete a three-hour COSS Online Refresher course instead of submitting their recertification points. The COSS Online Refresher will only be available through December 31, 2020.
At a glance, what you need to know:
- Cost to recertify = $149
- Choose between (a) taking a 3-hour COSS Refresher course or (b) submitting their 15 recertification points
- Students can visit cossrecert.com for more information
Additional information about recertification is available in the Recertification Guide.
Are there any prerequisites to COSS, COSM, and SAF Frontline Safety Training?
COSS requires individuals to have a high school diploma or equivalent. COSS is an academically rigorous course that requires nightly reading from a college textbook, daily quizzes, student presentations and a comprehensive written exam.
COSM requires a minimum of 2 years of safety, health and environmental work experience. Participants must complete required assignments in order to receive the final COSM certificate.
SAF Frontline Safety Training does not have any specific prerequisites.