CERTIFICATE FOR OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY MANAGERS (COSM)
The COSM program is designed to increase the knowledge and skill competencies of executive-level safety managers. Because of this, a certain amount of prior safety-focused education, certifications or experience must have been obtained as a prerequisite prior to enrollment acceptance.
What participants will learn
The COSM program is divided into five, 8-hour sessions. Each 8- hour session can be taken as a stand-alone course. In order to receive the COSM certificate, all five sessions must be attended and successfully passed within a 24 month time period. In order to accommodate scheduling needs, most session offerings are spread out over several weeks. Some scheduling, however, will offer all five sessions of the COSM program within a one-week period. Program participants may choose the order of the five-sessions at their own discretion.
Program participants will, among meeting other key objectives, learn to develop strategies for achieving safety-related goals in business environments by:
- Developing clear objectives, goals, strategies, and measures for integrating health, safety, security and environment into the culture of the enterprise,
- Creating specific methods for promoting occupational health, safety, and environmental program initiatives to organizational decision makers,
- Establishing measurable expectations and accountability for safety services and assuring that facilities are continually prepared for safety assessments, and
- Developing a comprehensive safety management system that is capable of assuring that overall safety, by whatever measure, is improved in the organization.
COSM does NOT replace contractors’ and owners’ specific training programs and do not authorize employees to do work. The employer must provide the employee with proper training for the specific job. Visit www.coss.net to learn more.
Class info, upcoming dates & registration
Upcoming Course Dates
- 2021 dates to be announced
- 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
DVSC / 510 Heron Drive, Suite 210, Swedesboro, NJ 08085
Class info, upcoming dates & registration
Virtual COSM® courses are offered in real-time during live classes with our expert COSS Instructors. The week-long course features the same innovative and rigorous curriculum as our in-person COSS training with digital coursework that includes daily compliance moments and proctored exams.
Students will participate in a live 6-hour online session via Zoom video conferencing Monday – Friday. Live sessions begin at 8:00 a.m. Central Time. After each session Monday – Thursday, students can work on their own time to complete daily exercises and readings. On the final day, students will participate in an additional 2-hour Zoom session to complete final graded activities including the final exam, final compliance moment, and safety presentation.
Participation in the course will require the following:
- Computer with reliable Internet access (Laptops and desktop computers only.)
- Preference: Dual monitor setup or use of multiple devices (computer and mobile device)
- Google Chrome Browser
- Webcam and Microphone
- Zoom Video Conferencing
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
Upcoming Virtual Course Dates
- February 22-23, March 1-2, 8, 2021 (MT, MT, M class)
- July 26-27, August 2-3, 9, 2021 (MT, MT, M class)
- September 27-28, October 4-5, 11, 2021 (MT, MT, M class)
- November 22-23, 29-30, December 6, 2021 (MT, MT, M class)
Discounts are available for active military and veterans. Click to Learn More.
- Military discounts are available for our Specialty Training Programs, such as COSS, COSM, and Safe Supervisor. Call to check for the availability of the military discount for other training programs offered by Delaware Valley Safety Council.
- Military discounts are available for anyone who is active military, a veteran or a member of the reserves.
- Proper military verification must be submitted with the registration, such as Form DD214 for veterans, or a military ID card for active service people and reserves. A copy of this paperwork must be kept on file with student’s registration.
- The discount will be 15%, PROVIDED WE ARE DEFINITELY RUNNING THE CLASS WITH OUR 3-PERSON MINIMUM—3 students already registered at regular price—before we will register and offer the military discount.
- Payments must be made with a credit card; invoicing and payment plans for the program may be set up with the DVSC Controller. Full payment is due one week prior to class start.
- The same late fees and cancellation fees apply.
What is Recertification?
You are required to renew your Certified Occupational Safety Specialist (COSS®) and Certificate for Occupational Managers (COSM) credential every three years. You should apply for recertification by December 31 of the third full year of your recertification cycle.
Additional information about recertification is available in the Recertification Guide.
Are there any prerequisites to COSS, COSM, and Safe Supervisor?
COSS requires individuals to have a high school diploma or equivalent. COSS is an academically rigorous course that requires nightly reading from a college textbook, daily quizzes, student presentations and a comprehensive written exam.
COSM requires a minimum of 2 years of safety, health and environmental work experience. Participants must complete required assignments in order to receive the final COSM certificate.
Safe Supervisor does not have any specific prerequisites.